Arranging before moving

You have terminated the rent, packed your removal boxes and gathered your friends to help with the move. You are all set! However, have you also thought of the following?

Registering with the municipality
You must inform the municipality of your change of address within five days, so that your details in the Key Register of Persons (in Dutch: Basisregistratie personen or BRP) are correct. Important government organizations such as the Tax Authorities and Education Executive Agency (DUO) use the BRP. Are you moving house within the same city? Then inform the municipality of your new address. Are you moving to a different city? Then register with the new municipality. You do not need to deregister from your old municipality as this will happen automatically.

Rent allowance
Your move will influence your rent allowance. Your rent allowance has perhaps changed, or after your move you may not be entitled to a rent allowance any longer. Inform the Tax Authorities of this on time, in order to avoid an additional tax assessment. For more information, visit

Energy companies
Do you yourself pay for gas, water and electricity directly to the companies in question? Do not forget to change these agreements to your new address or to cancel them.

It is very annoying if your important mail is still sent to your old address. You can use a mail redirection service to have your mail forwarded to your new address.