Want to temporarily sub-let your room or house to someone if, for example, you have an internship abroad? You can allow someone else to live in your accommodation temporarily. We call this ‘sub-letting’.

Finding a sub-tenant
Before you can register the sub-let with SSH, you need to find someone who wants to rent your room or house on a temporary basis. This person does not need to be registered with us.

Registration for sub-letting
Found someone? Then you can register directly through ‘Mijn SSH’

What are the conditions for temporarily sub-letting my place?

  • You may sub-let your room or house for a minimum of 2 months and maximum of 12 months.
  • You have been a tenant with SSH for at least 6 months.
  • Your rental agreement is still valid.
  • You are not in rent arrears.
  • You are responsible for finding a sub-tenant. If you are currently renting through a ‘campus contract’ then your sub-tenant must also be a student.
  • The rent you charge your sub-tenant must be the same as your regular total monthly rent – including regular housing costs like heating, water, electricity and taxes. You are, however, allowed to charge a maximum of €20 in additional costs for use of your personal belongings.
  • Want to sub-let your room multiple times? It’s only possible to begin a new sub-let 12 months after the end of the previous one.
  • You can extend the sub-let period anytime during the originally agreed term up to the maximum term of 12 months.
  • The sub-let takes effect once the application has been confirmed by SSH.

Always register your sub-let with SSH. It is strictly forbidden to sub-let your room or house without prior registration. More information can be found in your rental regulations. You should never sub-let your room through Airbnb.

Unfortunately, if you are an international student who has reserved furnished accommodation (Short Stay) from your institution on a temporary basis, it is not possible to sub-let your living space.

Arrangements with your sub-tenant
When you sub-let your room or house, you still remain the official tenant. Therefore, you continue to be responsible for paying the rent and ensuring the good upkeep of the accommodation. Agreements on rent payment, and the use of the property and its contents should be conducted directly with your sub-tenant. SSH has drawn up a model contract which you can use as a guide when making agreements: PDF iconexample_rental_agreement_subletting.pdf

To avoid any problems, here are some tips:

  • Arrange everything in writing. You should use a model contract for this.
  • Draw up an inventory and inspection list. This lets you put in black and white the current state of your property and its contents so preventing possible disputes later.
  • Use direct debit for paying rent.
  • The tenancy period you agree with your sub-tenant is binding. Neither you or the sub-tenant can unilaterally cancel mid-tenancy. However, you can do so if you are both in agreement.

Housing allowance implications
Sub-letting your room or house may have consequences for your rent allowance. For more information you contact the Belastingdienst (tax authority).