You are looking for a place to live, but how does it work? This step by step guide will tell you.
Are you a non-Dutch student and are you looking for a room for a limited period of time? Pease note that
- there can be a waiting period (especially in Utrecht), the persons with the longest registration period are invited to view the room.
- the rooms on offer are directly available: the rooms cannot be booked months in advance
- there is often a Meet&Greet session to meet prospective flatmates. The current residents choose the new flatmate. You need to be in The Netherlands to attend the Meet&Greet.
Are you not sure if it makes sense to register for "regular accommodations"? Please contact us to consult.
- Register with the SSH
It is possible to register for with SSH for regular accommodations when your age is between 16 and 27. Fill in the registration form and pay the registration fee online (€ 12,50). You can pay by credit card or bank transfer. You will receive your log in data by e-mail. These will give you access to your own personal page (My SSH).
Before you register, we advise you to read which conditions apply to our regular accommodations. Please note that:
- a large amount of our accommodations is meant for students. In the advertisements is stated whether the campus contract applies.
- we assign our accommodations based on SSH-registration number. This means that when someone who registered with the SSH on 1 January 2014 applies for an accommodation, his chances of getting the accommodation are higher than of someone who registered with the SSH at 1 July 2014 and applies for the same accommodation.
- if you respond to an advertisement of a room and you are a top 10 candidate based on your registration date: you will be invited for a vote in meeting with the residents of that student house; you will have to be there in person. They have the right to pick their new house mate out of the ten candidates.
- if you are looking for a regular unfurnished room in Utrecht, please take into account that it may take a few months before you find housing. A lot of students are looking for housing in Utrecht!
- if you are interested in living in a regular unfurnished residence / apartment in Utrecht: it is only possible to apply for them if you currently live in a regular unfurnished SSH room. This does not apply to the regular unfurnished residences in Utrecht Science Park or residences in Tilburg, Rotterdam and Zwolle.
- Log in and upload your proof of income
Before you can apply for accommodation, you have to upload a proof of your registration with the university + a proof of your income (for example scholarship, student loan or signed statement of financial support from parents). Read more about the income check.
- Respond to the offer
You can log in and apply for accommodations that are on offer via 'Rent Offers'. Please note that accommodations only become available when a current tenant ends his rental agreement. Therefore we cannot predict when rooms or studios become available. It is not possible to make a reservation in advance. Maybe you would like to have a look first what kinds of accommodations the SSH lets? Please click 'Cities'.
We assign our accommodations based on SSH-registration number. This means that when someone who registered with the SSH on 1 January 2014 applies for an accommodation, his chances of getting the accommodation are higher than of someone who registered with the SSH at 1 July 2014 and applies for the same accommodation. When the ad of the studio closes, we collect the candidates and look at their registration date with the SSH. We send an invitation to have a look at the accommodation to:
- the candidates with the 'oldest' registration dates for a 'Present Yourself' night (this applies to almost all rooms)
- the candidate with the 'oldest' registration date for viewing a room or an apartment (this applies to the residences and some rooms)
- Take a look
Did you receive an invitation to have a look at a room? Then you will have to make an appointment with the residents of the student house. The top 10 candidates are invited for a vote in meeting with these residents. They have the right to pick their new house mate out of these candidates. Did you receive an invitation for a viewing of an apartment? In that case, you can take a look and decide whether you would like to live there. (This does not apply for rooms in Maastricht; there are no viewings beforehand,).
- Great, I have a room/ residence!
Log in and accept your rental agreement and rental conditions. You will receive a notification how to receive the keys to your accommodation.
- Live in an SSH residence
As soon as you are a tenant, you can arrange several matters through My SSH. For example, your rent payment. Or maybe you decide to move to another SSH accommodation. Please refer to My SSH.
- Housing history with the SSH
You probably do not want to stay in your current accommodation forever. Sometimes it is possible to move internally to another room or residence in the building. Or maybe you want to move to another SSH building or even another SSH city. Take a look at the advertisements at 'Rent Offers'.
- Terminate your rental agreement
You can easily terminate your rental agreement via My SSH. You will automatically receive a confirmation. Read more about terminating your rental agreement.