Since we currently operate with a minimum amount of staff at our offices, we ask you to direct any questions to us via WhatsApp (+31 88 730 4200) or e-mail ( We can only be reached by phone to report an urgent repair. Should you want to report such an urgent repair, you can do so by calling our general phone-number (+31 88 730 4200) and follow the appropriate options mentioned in the menu (first conveyed in Dutch, then in English). For all other questions or problems we urgently request you to reach out to us via WhatsApp or e-mail.

A new residence

It is possible to move to another SSH room?
It’s possible to move to another regular accommodation in Utrecht, Rotterdam, Zwolle or Tilburg. As long as you are registered, you can reply to the Rent offer. Please bare in mind your notice period and look at the requirements per advertisement. Besides that, you may not have rent arrears if you move to another SSH room.

Is it possible to move to another student city?
Do you want to move to another student city? The student housing providers who are associated with Kences have rooms available for tenants of other student housing providers. Please contact them and make sure you are interested in ‘kamerhoppen’.

I’m not a student any more. How can I get a new room?
We advise you to subscribe to a local website with rental offers. For Utrecht it’s Woningnet. You can also have a look at Jebber.