Since we currently operate with a minimum amount of staff at our offices, we ask you to direct any questions to us via WhatsApp (+31 88 730 4200) or e-mail ( We can only be reached by phone to report an urgent repair. Should you want to report such an urgent repair, you can do so by calling our general phone-number (+31 88 730 4200) and follow the appropriate options mentioned in the menu (first conveyed in Dutch, then in English). For all other questions or problems we urgently request you to reach out to us via WhatsApp or e-mail.

Roommates and neighbours

Am I allowed to organize a house party?
A house party is a good thing to have occasionally! We advise you to make proper arrangements with regard to the party. Please contact us when you are planning to organize a party. Besides that,
- keep your party private
- report your party to the police and fire brigade
- inform the neighbours;
- limit noise disturbance.

Imagine that things get out of hand during the house party. People throw things out the window and cause nuisance. End the party in consultation with your housemates. If you cannot manage this, then call the police and explain the situation, and possibly ask the police to end the party. If you do not take any action, we will hold all the occupants of the unit responsible for this. You should be aware that this could have serious consequences, not just for the person who happened to walk under your window, but also for you and your housemates. We will not only hold all of you liable for any damage and related costs, but we will also consider terminating your rental contracts. We deploy this strict policy in the interests of the safety of all our tenants and their visitors.

We wish you a successful house party!

What should I do if I am worried about my roommate or neighbour?
Very nice of you that you worry about your neighbour and want to do something to improve the situation. Would you contact us as soon as possible? Then we discuss the situation and how we can improve this. You can find our contact details at

Can I smoke in my living room or house?
In most buildings you can smoke in your own room (only when your roommates don’t mind), but in some buildings smoking is not permitted. Ask this at the ‘Present Yourself Night’ (hospiteeravond) or viewing. You can of course always contact us to check which agreements apply to the relevant building. You can find our contact details at

Is it allowed to have a pet?
Whether you can move your dog, cat, guinea pig or any other pet to your SSH accommodation vary per city and per property. If it is allowed, in that case your housemates should not experience nuisance from the smell or sound of your pet. Also consider whether your accommodation is a nice place for a pet, given your absence when you lectures or vacations. Do you really want a pet? Then it is best to contact us and mention in which building you live or want to live. We will then indicate whether or not pets are allowed here.

What should I do when I experience nuisance from my roommate?
When you live close to each other, annoyances can occur. This cannot always be prevented, but it helps if you try to make agreements and show consideration to each other. Sometimes, a person may not be aware that he/she has an annoying habit. Does this housemate know that this habit annoys you? Have a calm chat with your housemate, which will often clear the air. Sometimes it is not possible to reach an agreement with each other, or someone may not adhere to the agreements. If occupants cannot find a solution together, the SSH can mediate in the conflict. In the case of mediation, we do expect you to actively cooperate to the solution of the problem.

What steps will the SSH take when the neighbors complain about nuisance?
If you and your housemates cause nuisance to neighbours, we will rely on the objective observations by the police. If the police regularly observe nuisance in one of our accommodations we will hold our tenants accountable. Be aware that you are responsible for your guests. If you yourself do not cause nuisance, but your guest does, we will hold you accountable. If the situation does not improve, we may then request the court to dissolve the rent contract with the tenant(s). In exceptional cases, for example during a party or house party where very serious nuisance occurs, the public prosecutor can end this party. In this case, it is very likely that we will immediately request the sub-district court to dissolve the rent contract with all the occupants of the unit, on the grounds of ‘improper tenancy practices’. Of course, we do not want this situation to get this far. Therefore, make sure your neighbors do not experience any nuisance!