Since we currently operate with a minimum amount of staff at our offices, we ask you to direct any questions to us via WhatsApp (+31 88 730 4200) or e-mail ( We can only be reached by phone to report an urgent repair. Should you want to report such an urgent repair, you can do so by calling our general phone-number (+31 88 730 4200) and follow the appropriate options mentioned in the menu (first conveyed in Dutch, then in English). For all other questions or problems we urgently request you to reach out to us via WhatsApp or e-mail.

Rent and other money matters

How and when can I pay the rent?
You pay the rent in advance. This means that we must have received your payment on the first day of every month. You can pay in different ways: by direct debit, at My SSH by iDeal or by giving your own bank a payment order yourself. Unfortunately it is not possible to pay in cash. Please check this page for more information about paying the rent.

Can someone else pay the rent for me?
Yes, that is possible. On My SSH, you can also enter the account number of your parents, for example, for the direct debit.

How is my rent price determined?
The rent price of the accommodation which the SSH rents out meets the rules laid down by the government. The SSH sets the net rent using the points system of the Ministry of Home Affairs. Factors which determine the rent price are for instance the size of the living accommodation, provisions in the living accommodation and the number of housemates with whom you share the provisions. You also pay an amount for service costs, for example electricity and water use. In some case (for example in Short Stay) you also pay a fee for inventory and extra services.

How is the rent built up?
The rent price consists of two parts: the net rent and the service costs (and, if applicable, the inventory). Together, they form your gross rent. This is the rent that you pay each month to the SSH.

What are service costs?
The monthly rent also includes a sum for service costs. Service costs are the costs for additional provisions and services: everything which is added to the basic rent. For example, cleaning the general area and the window cleaning fund. Gas, water, electricity and taxes are often included in the service costs if you live in a room. Occupants of an independent residence often pay these costs themselves to the suppliers, the municipality and the water board. You can read exactly what you are paying for in your rent contract and on every rent price overview that you receive when the rent is adjusted. For this purpose, go to My SSH.

For some service costs you pay an advance sum, for example for electricity. The SSH estimates the anticipated costs. Each year before 1 July, the SSH settles the costs from the previous calendar year with the advance sum that you have paid. If the advance sum that you paid is higher than the actual costs, you will receive a refund from us. If the advance sum is lower than the actual costs, you will have to pay an additional sum.

Are you allowed to increase the rent?
The SSH increases the rent every year as of 1 July. The Ministry of Home Affairs determines guidelines for this purpose. You will be informed of the rent increase before 1 May. We determine the rent using a points system. Each year, the government determines what the maximum rent price is which you may ask for, by points system. We will never ask for more than this maximum rent price, so not after a rent increase either. You will find more information about the points system at

Please note: in case of a rent decrease, your rent allowance could change. Change your rent at

The SSH has agreed with BoKS (the umbrella organization for SSH tenants) that we will apply the target rent when a room or a residence becomes available. We refer to this as ‘rent harmonisation’. It might therefore be the case that you pay a different rent amount than your housemate. The rent price which the SSH asks always meets the rules of the points system by the government.

I disagree with the rent increase, what to do?
Do you disagree with the rent increase? In that case, file an objection before 1 July to the rent assessment committee ( In the announcement that we will send you about the rent increase, you can read all about this procedure. You can submit an objection if the rent increase is higher than the maximum permitted rent increase which has been determined by the government or if the new rent price appears to be above the maximum rent price according to the points system. You can only submit an objection against the net or ‘basic' rent, not against the service costs. Defective maintenance, a low income or a conflict with your neighbours are not valid reasons either for submitting an objection.

The rent assessment committee will investigate your arguments against the rent increase. You do not need to pay the amount of the rent increase until the time that the rent assessment committee makes a decision. If you are ruled against, you must pay the rent increase with retroactive effect. We therefore advise you to just continue to pay the rent increase in the meantime. The decision by the rent assessment committee is binding. However, if one of the two parties does not agree with the decision, the sub-district court can be asked to determine the rent. Such a request must be made within two months of the decision by the rent assessment committee. There is no higher appeal possible against the decision of the sub-district court.

What should I do in case on an incorrect invoice?
Please contact us to discuss the invoice and to correct the payment.

I cannot pay my rent on time, what to do?
Are you not able to pay your rent (on time)? In that case, we advise you to contact the SSH. Often it possible to set up a payment scheme, free of charge. If you wish, we can also provide you with information about debt counsellors whom we collaborate with. Your privacy is always guaranteed in this matter. Of course, we hope that this situation will not arise. If you choose to pay by direct debit, the risk of rent arrears is considerably less.

What happens if I have a rent arrears?
If you do not respond to the reminder and the demand for payment which the SSH sends you with regard to your rent arrears, we will engage a bailiff, which will involve costs. At the time that we engage a bailiff, he will deal further with the rent arrears along with you. You can then no longer pay your rent arrears to the SSH. If the bailiff does not receive a payment, he will begin legal proceedings, with which he will request that the rent contract be terminated, the living accommodation vacated and that all the costs be paid.

If the SSH has engaged a bailiff about your rent arrears, the normal monthly rent payment will still take place via the SSH. You must therefore continue to pay your rent to us each month.