Update Corona 13 maart 2020
SSH will adhere to the instructions provided by the Dutch public health services
The instructions and measures provided by the Dutch government and public health services (RIVM and GGD) will be taken up by the SSH as well. These are preventative measures, in place to avoid or limit the further spread of the coronavirus. In addition, we will follow the strict guidelines from these departments should any of our residences be exposed to someone carrying the virus. In that situation the SSH will provide necessary support as an addition to the necessary actions taken by the local health services.
Please look after yourselves
We would like to employ you all to take extra care in preventing the spread of the virus:
- Please make sure to regularly and properly wash your hands with water and soap
- Should you have to sneeze or cough, make sure to do so in your elbow instead of your hands
- Make use of paper towels to blow your nose, and throw them away right after doing so
- Do not shake hands
- Stay at home when you are experiencing symptoms like the common cold and/or have an increased temperature. Make sure to keep a fair distance between yourself and others, limit any social interaction and take time to recover.
- Should you have a fever (temperatures about 38 degrees Celsius or 100.4 Fahrenheit), and have a cough or shortness of breath; call your local GP or the GP on duty (“Huisartsenpost”). They will provide further care and instructions. The website from RIVM (National Institute for Public Health) also provides further information in that regard.
Please take up your responsibility
As you know, the Dutch government has announced further measures to contain the COVID-19 outbreak in the Netherlands. In addition, educational institutions and municipalities have taken up additional measures. Please make sure to be informed about these measures and act accordingly. Gatherings with 100 attendees or more will be cancelled throughout the Netherlands. It is important to take up your individual responsibility in this regard as well, by postponing such gatherings and avoiding such situations to occur. This is not just for your own health, but also of that of your fellow housemates.
Please make sure to pay extra attention to so-called “contact-surfaces”, like tables, keyboards, door handles, showers and toilets. Over the course of the following weeks the SSH will have the cleaning companies perform extra cleaning tasks on these surfaces to maintain a good level of hygiene.
Reaching the SSH
People across the Netherlands have been asked by the government to work from home as much as possible, or spread their working hours. The SSH will take up such preventative measures to avoid a spread of the virus amongst its employees. In that light, we have cancelled any internal meetings and have asked our staff to work from home as much as possible. In line with this, our offices throughout the country will be staffed by a very limited amount of people.
In that light we ask you to please:
- Only reach out to the SSH for urgent matters
- Reach out to us via e-mail, Whatsapp or phone as much as possible
- Take into account that our response times will be longer than usual
- Only file repair requests when they are urgent
Inform your housemates and the SSH if necessary
Should you have been in touch with a GP and/or local health services and should a suspicion arise of you being infected with the coronavirus, we would like to urge you to follow the instructions provided by these services and to inform others around you about it. The local health services are not allowed to share information with us or your housemates due to privacy laws we have in the Netherlands, but it might be very useful for you to reach out to the SSH and/or your housemates in this case. It is not mandatory, but we would really appreciate it.
Measures by the educational institutions
In general the academic year is continuing as usual. However, due to the (temporarily) closing of some educational institutions, we have received numerous requests from students to return to their home country. Please be aware of the policy in place for your student type:
For Shortstay students (stay shorter than a year):
- Do you rent a room? Do you rent a room? You can not terminate your contract. Please reach out to the educational institution.
- Do your rent a self-contained unit (studio or apartment)? In that case you can terminate your contract with a one-months’ notice. Please reach out to us to provide us with that notice and schedule an appointment for the key hand-over.
For full year international students (stay longer than a year):
- In your case you have a one-months’ notice to terminate your contract with us. Please reach out to us to provide us with that notice and schedule an appointment for the key hand-over.
For more information please consult our FAQ and website.