Lock your room
A student house is often an easy target for burglars. They can come at any time, for instance, when you’re away to the supermarket. How horrible would you feel if a thief runs off with your laptop and also takes your assignments, photos or papers? Even though burglars have their ways to break into houses, there are things that you can do too to prevent burglary.
What can you do to prevent burglary?
- always lock your room door, even if you are leaving the room for a short period;
- always turn the night lock on the front door at night;
- also lock your room door from inside at night and leave the keys in the door for extra security;
- do not leave any items in your garden or on your balcony which you do not wish to be stolen;
- lock your windows when you go out;
- if you live on the ground floor, be extra careful with open windows. Also lock the windows when you leave your room for a short period;
- do not leave valuables in your room or in communal areas if you go home for the weekend or go on holiday, for instance;
- never leave valuables in sight;
- never place spare keys in a handy spot outside, such as under the mat.
Don’t make it easy for burglars to get in, simple actions can prevent a lot of trouble!